Recommended Post Slide Out For Blogger

What Exactly Is a Hero?

>> 25 June 2009

Once, many years ago, I pulled a family out of a burning car somewhere in the middle of Wyoming. Last week I received a telephone call from a woman who could not stop crying as she told me that one of my stories had saved her son from committing suicide. In closing she called me a hero.

That got me to thinking about what a hero really is. Was I a hero because I pulled a family from a burning car? If so, how could I be a hero just because I wrote a story that saved someones life?

Today I decided to look up the word hero in the dictionary to see exactly what it meant.

It read A person who does something brave. As I read on, it also said A person who is good and noble. That statement impressed me more than did the part about being brave.

That got me to thinking about something very important. Say I was walking into the local Wal-Mart Store and I happened to open and hold the door for someone as a courtesy. As they passed me by, I say How are you today?

Most of the time that would be no big deal, but this time lets say it was for someone who is deeply depressed and near the end of the rope. That may have very well been the only kindness or courtesy shown to them in a very long time.

Having been near the end of my rope, after my marriage of twenty years ended, I was in such a condition. I was within hours of trying to get up enough nerve to end the pain and misery. When I returned home, someone had sent me a card in the mail which told me how much they appreciate me as a friend. That wonderful card probably saved my life. That person, without even knowing it, saved a life and became a hero.

I went on to write many stories which last week saved the life of a teenage boy. In turn that makes the person who sent me the card a double hero.

I suppose that is why I fight so hard to help the children now living in orphanages. Most children come out of these institutions with a very hard and vindictive attitude against the world. The gifts we send them let them know that they have not been forgotten. Hopefully, most of them will never hurt anyone because of the kindness shown to them by those of us who cared. If it works we will also become heroes.

Gee, who would have ever thought that anyone can become a hero, and possibly save a life, just by being kind and courteous to others? The best part of all is that becoming a hero is free to all who wish to wear such an honour.

By Roger Dean Kiser

God has instilled greatness within each of us that is meant to be used to bring glory and honour to His name. The gifts that we have been given may seem miniscule to us, but it can mean the world to someone in need of what we possess. We should never undervalue our gifts thinking that we are not special enough to touch someone else and encourage them to continue on.

God has us here for a special purpose that is meant to minister grace to those near to us to let them know that All will be well and nothing by any means shall be able to harm them. Believe in yourself this day and allow the Lord to use you to encourage and bless someone else that is in need of what only you can give. (Isaiah 54:17) (Philippians 2:13-15)

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that will show forth the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. -- 1 Peter 2:9

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Add to Technorati Favorites

Back to TOP